Welcome

Not sure which piece of news was more unexpected: getting offered admission to Harvard's Grad School of Education or finding out a few months later that I was pregnant. I didn't find a lot of relevant advice or similar experiences out there in the internet world, so I've decided to share the experience - I'm sure I'm not the first and I won't be the last. Here we go...deep breath...

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Elle Woods

There's this little joke in my world about my minor resemblance to Reese Witherspoon (mostly when I'm thinner and younger) and my reality of attending Harvard University.  If you haven't seen it, Legally Blonde is a pretty entertaining little movie.

So it was appropriate that Legally Blonde was on TV tonight. I had kind of a rough day of feeling a little blue, a little stuck, and a little alone.  "Stuck" because I'm at a standstill with getting things set up at the apartment until Eric makes a few moves and because I'm without my car and can't just go get things that would facilitate forward progress at Target or wherever, which I normally would just do to get things moving.  Alone because Eric was dealing with anything BUT our world today (in my opinion) and had plans tonight to see an old friend and I was just feeling a little brushed aside throughout the day at different moments. Blue because of the other two things, guilt (because I really worry about him being happy and I WANT him to see friends he has out here and not begrudge him that) and a healthy dose of preggo hormones, I'm sure.

However, I took it as a sign from the universe to reengage my sense of humor when I was channel surfing and Elle Woods was smiling at me.

I really like my Higher Education and the Law class.  I've only been to one, but it's endlessly interesting to me to think about all the different complications that pop up in the world of Higher Ed. I've had glimpses into complicated little worlds over the years - directing summer camp, working in non-profit, working as a high school administrator - and always have had an interest (much to others' annoyance at times) in risk management, liability, and anticipating potential issues. So this sort of thing is right up my alley and 2 hours flew by, leaving me with a head full of questions about tiny little offshoots from discussion in class.

The same cannot be said for my History of American Higher Education class (no offense, Professor), but I'm sure I'll get there with it eventually.  I have already had to confront my own bias and road blocks when doing the first primary source reading for this course - essentially a marketing flyer for early Harvard that reminded me of how religiously charged and cemented so much of colonial America was.  Turns me off right away (and I did a fair amount of studying Colonial American history and religious formation as an undergrad), but it was what it was and has a lot to say about what still goes on in today's higher ed system - and education system in general.

I haven't been to my other two courses yet, but am looking forward to both for their content and challenge.  I'm a little concerned after my first two courses that there is a disproportionate amount of time and attention paid to the history and issues of private institutions vs. public institutions - as if to assume that everyone in the program is interested in working for private colleges and universities. However, I know there are a gaggle of my program peeps who have the same concern and are interested in a lot of the same issues I am (college access, admissions process, community colleges, etc.) so I know I'm not alone.  I rather like "nerding out" with them about this stuff and THAT is a pretty nice perk of this program all by itself.

Speaking of perks, I totally won the lottery with my advisor - story for another time.

So, I'm going to learn from Elle Woods tonight, buck up, have a little faith in myself, and keep looking forward.  Besides, I worry that peanut picks up on my moods and I don't need to be bringing a moody little bugger into the world. Doesn't make me any more motivated to read that History assignment for Tuesday morning's class, but it did make me write a blog entry tonight  - and I just may do a little research this evening try to enjoy exploring the city a little tomorrow with Eric.  And maybe get a manicure.

1 comment: