Welcome

Not sure which piece of news was more unexpected: getting offered admission to Harvard's Grad School of Education or finding out a few months later that I was pregnant. I didn't find a lot of relevant advice or similar experiences out there in the internet world, so I've decided to share the experience - I'm sure I'm not the first and I won't be the last. Here we go...deep breath...

Thursday, November 18, 2010

time flies

wow.

It's been almost 2 months since my last post, which just blows my mind.  Turns out that this lapse in productivity on the blog experiment has yielded some interesting results, observations, and even possibly some advice.  I'm not big on handing out unsolicited advice, but figure since you're reading you ARE kind of asking for it.  So here is what I have learned from the last two months of the adventure:

1. Grad School keeps you busy.  The intial rush of constant little (and still important) assignments at the beginning of the semester gives way to bigger looming assignments - the kind that you really have to make an effort to keep making progress on or you're in a pickle.  I'm much better at getting through long readings at this point, but there are just more and more of them if you actually do the research and literature reviews expected for those bigger papers and assignments.  Speaking of:

2. It is really hard to stop researching sometimes and just start writing the damn paper.  I have faith I'll get better at this, but I always fear that I'm missing a crucial source or perspective that would substantially shift my position.  I assume, of course, that my professors know all of these sources and are just waiting to pounce.

3. Piece of advice #1: Rig up a comfortable zone for studying. Do this anyway, but especially if you're in the later stages of your pregnancy. It has become more and more difficult to work for extended periods at a time (and by "extended" I mean 30 minutes...and its getting worse) without elaborate castles of pillows, books, supports, chairs, tables.... You see, everything must be in arms reach because it really does become an effort to move. Not to mention that if you are lucky enough to find a comfortable position that allows you to read, highlight, take notes, type, eat and drink...you don't want to have to mess it up.   Side note: futons are sucky for this purpose - anything that has a sunken in seating area is kind of a disaster. It's almost enough to make me forget we can't afford a new couch.

4. Eric is a good helper. Even if he thinks he isn't doing much and laments not being as busy as he was back in Colorado, I can't imagine trying to balance all of this without him. Even something as simple as driving me to school sometimes when it is rainy or I'm running late. Or things that are more complicated, like making his mom's homemade french food for dinner. Sometimes, just for making me laugh and being there to lean on.  And it is no fun dressing up like Juno for Halloween without Paulie Bleeker.

5. Piece of advice #2: One piece pregnancy bathing suits are difficult to find. I tried to save money (and still get something that wouldn't disintegrate after a few uses) by just getting a speedo a few sizes larger than normal because it was recommended on some sites.  However, peanut takes up a lot of that fabric, my friends.  In a nutshell - this strategy doesn't work. Spring for the maternity one - though I'm sure it will fall apart as good suit companies don't market to my demographic so much. OR do what I'm about to do - go ahead and get the dumb two piece...or recognize that I'm not going to get around to the swimming thing after all and let it go.

6. Related piece of advice:  If I wasn't in grad school full time, working two work-study jobs, and pregnant, I would carve out more time for my physical fitness goals. I do wish I would have figured out that rhythm and schedule immediately so that I was swimming and doing yoga for the past 3 months. I think it would have helped with #3 in an odd way.

7. This is nothing mindblowingly new to most of the world, but there are some strange things that happen to your body when preggo. I'm in awe that there is a tiny person inside me and I appreciation that.  However, I have a new appreciation for what your non-preggo body can do, too.  Here are some things I miss being able to do:
  • read while lying on my stomach
  • run if necessary (even hurry across the street...)
  • play volleyball
  • shave my legs (and other parts...)
  • sleep on my back
  • sleep in any position
  • pick things up off of the floor when I drop them without it being an ordeal
  • order a glass of wine in a restaurant without being glared at
  • ride a bike (no, really, Eric...I miss having the option)
  • navigate through rows of chairs in a lecture hall without disrupting the entire class
  • tie my shoes
8.  Piece of advice #3: sign up for office hours, form study groups, work cooperatively with other students.  All of these resources are extremely valuable, save time, and create a support network that you need.

9.  Tator tots are still good.  Really good.

10.  It is super weird when babies kick you.

11. It is super awesome when people give you baby stuff they don't need anymore.  Little things add up and grad school is not a lucrative time in life. I'm not sure that folks will ever know the full extent of my appreciation.


I'm sure there are other things to say. It's almost time for law group (cannot believe there is only one more class after tonight!) and I've got to read through some stuff.  My goal is another post next week as we enter the final stretch of semester one...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment